Wednesday, March 25, 2009

New Cast Iron!

I have been helping a friend out, by taking her daughter to classes with Josephine. Emma is two weeks older then Josephine, and they get along great. Josephine has enjoyed having someone to "talk" to, while riding in the car. Emma's mom is packing her house for an unexpected move, and when I asked her how it was going, she said she had too much "stuff". Some of the "stuff" she had, and didn't know what to do with, was a set of cast iron. I didn't hesitate to tell her I would take them off of her hands. I came home and instantly started seasoning the pans.

Here is the cast iron pan:

















I had been planning on making soup tonight, and thought this pan will is perfect for Pumpkin Curry Soup. I found this recipe a couple months ago and love it! I add mushrooms to the onion saute, and then use my own curry spice mixture instead of store bought spice. When the soup is done, I use my hand mixer and puree the onion and mushrooms. Yum!

Josephine helping me stir the soup:























Here is the almost finished soup:
















If you are wondering what goes in my Curry Spice Mixture, well here it is:
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chili power

If you want to add spice, add some ground cayenne pepper (not too much!)


2 comments:

Anonymous,  March 26, 2009 at 10:54 AM  

Very filling and tastes great!

; )

It'll be a good base for some other dishes I think - will report more when I get a chance to experiment!

Anonymous,  March 26, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

Hi Sunshine and Doug. Looking forward to trying this recipe. Sunshine, your face photos are terrific!

I also wanted to pass along a URL for a woman in Seattle who posts Indian recipes on her blog:

http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/

Good stuff!

Sandy B.

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP